- Penetration Testing (Tools): Kali Linux, Nmap, Netcat, SSH, Putty, Metasploit, SQLmap, Wireshark, John the Ripper, Hashcat, Hydra, Nikto, Dirb, Beef, Proxychains
- Penetration Testing (Skills): Network scanning, Traffic sniffing, Vulnerability research, Simple buffer overflow exploitation, Exploit customization, Cross-compiling, Web application attacks (fuzzing, XSS, CSRF, SQL injection, RFI/LFI, path traversal, session hijacking, authentication bypass), Windows & Linux privilege escalation, Post-exploitation, Proxying, Tunneling, Pivoting
- Security Engineering: OSSEC, Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana, OpenVAS, ModSecurity, Fail2ban, RKHunter, Iptables, ClamAV, OpenLDAP, Duo Security Authentication Proxy, PKI
- Systems Administration: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, CentOS, Apache, PHP, Java, Tomcat, Ruby on Rails, Passenger, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Exim, Postfix, Dovecot, OpenDKIM, OpenSSL, Subversion, Squid, Cron, Chef, Ansible
- API Integration: Authorize.net (payment gateway), Google Tag Manager, Twitter, LiveChat (real-time customer support), Weather Underground (weather data), New Relic (server monitoring)
- Certification: CISSP
- Issued: June 2017
- Certification: Security+
- Issued: April 2015 (now expired)
SIT Graduate Institute
Brattleboro, Vermont, USA
- Enrolled: August 2005 to May 2009
- Degree: MA Sustainable Development
- Practicum: Mediterranean Center for Sustainable Development Programs, Cairo and Beni Suef, Egypt
- Capstone: "When Access Isn't Enough: Leveraging Telecenters for Sustainable Development in Egypt"
Pennsylvania State University
University Park, Pennsylvania, USA
- Enrolled: August 1999 to May 2004
- Degree: BA Sociology
- Honors: Agricultural & Extension Education
- GPA: 3.79
University of Pittsburgh
Semester at Sea (Study Abroad Program)
- Enrolled: January to May 2003
- Countries visited: Bahamas, Cuba, Brazil, South Africa, Tanzania, India, Japan, South Korea, Canada
IGG Software, Inc., July 2005 to present
- Security engineering, 4 years
- Systems administration, 7 years
- Web development, 11 years
- Quality assurance, 5 years
- Documentation, 12 years
- Customer support, 8 years
Administration & Engineering
- Remotely administered 13 virtual CentOS servers and all matters relating to network, host, and application security.
- Conducted two data center migrations, automated infrastructure, and overhauled security stance.
- Assisted with defining network segments and configured tiered application stacks for high-security web services.
- Followed OWASP, NIST, and CIS guidelines to establish secure baseline configurations for all apps.
- Installed OpenLDAP for role-based access control.
- Configured Duo Security for two-factor authentication.
- Installed OSSEC for log aggregation and analysis, file integrity monitoring, alerts, and active response.
- Set up ELK stack for visualization and further analysis.
- Worked with third party service provider to define scope and classification, then implemented all requirements.
- Reviewed quarterly vulnerability scan reports, identified false positives, and mitigated remaining issues.
- Following reclassification from SAQ-A to SAQ-D under DSS 3, conducted internal vulnerability scans, installed WAF, added audit logging to our web store, expanded documentation, and increased staff security training.
- Ultimately redesigned billing platform to reduce PCI scope.
Documentation & Training
- Documented infrastructure via network diagrams, service and protocol maps, firewall justification lists, data flow illustrations, and more.
- Authored security policies governing employee conduct, password use, customer support, employee release, incident response, and more.
- Conducted code reviews with development staff.
- Worked with QA staff to integrate security into test plans.
- Administer periodic security training to all levels of staff.
Current Primary Responsibilities
- Monitoring security alerts, investigating anomalous events, and following up on suspicious activity.
- Observing trends and recommending proactive changes.
- Keeping abreast of latest threats and sharing knowledge.
- Carrying out penetration tests against our web services.
- Decoding and analyzing malicious payloads to better understand intercepted attacks.